Thursday, April 11, 2013

Puppies, Kitties, Babies and Sick Days!

Evening, everyone! This isn't going to be very long or super exciting, but I write to you from the comfort of my bed tonight. Yes... At 8:45, I'm in bed. Well... I'm a mommy! Sleep is valuable! It is the never-present treasure that I seek. And I'm sure all other mommies do as well. And this is just on a normal basis. But add a flu bug, and it's all the more precious!

Yep... You guessed it. I've been home sick. Tuesday morning, I woke up and was okay, but just not really feeling 100%. I went through the motions of my morning routine with C, but by the time I got to work, I was absolutely dragging and miserable. I felt like I could just drop at any second. Fast forward to Wednesday morning... I attempted to get ready for work, but my body was aching and I was feeling even worse. Took my temp and I definitely had a fever. So, I called in. But I decided to keep C home with me, thinking that it would just be so much easier not to have to pump instead of just feeding him right from the tap. It was really just so cute that I thought I could handle C, the kitty, AND the puppy and still be able to get some rest! C is currently cutting his two bottom teeth, and has recently started one on top, so he has moments of sincere crankiness. This leads to clinginess. And more often than not, it's my neck he's clinging to... Which makes sense - I have the magic milk makers, and they make everything better for him!

So all day yesterday, I was up and down, here and there, in and out. We don't have a fenced in yard yet, so I have to take the puppy - yeah... I don't think I mentioned that we got a puppy about a month ago... Sorry! - out on her leash. We got a baby gate, so with all the pretty Spring weather and the mud that comes with it, may be confined to my kitchen floor as opposed to brand new carpet. The cat - she's a grumpy old lady - thinks it's quite entertaining that this filthy, loud, and rather invasive creature gets locked up in the kitchen. Although, I have to say, the puppy is really not LOCKED in the kitchen. There's a gate, sure, but she can and totally does jump it. We move it a little higher on the door jam, but too high, and she'll just crawl under. So, it's really a very fine line that we walk in trying to keep her contained for a little while. (Don't go all animal's rights on me... She's not kept in the kitchen ALL the time!) Anyway... Between the cat torturing the puppy through the baby gate, and eventually luring the puppy over or under said baby gate, resulting in a rather loud and comical chase ending in a hiding, hissing/growling kitty and a crying puppy who just wants to play, and going up and down and up and down with a cranky baby taking sparse, short naps, and demanding to nurse extra (I think he was just sorta taking advantage of me being home) I did not get extra rest of any kind. Needless to say, I even ended the day more exhausted than I did when it started. But when C went down easy for bed, and the kitty and puppy were in their respective "beds", I took a sigh and MH suggested I take a day and REALLY get some rest.

So, this morning, I woke up with C (he actually woke up first, but just sorta waited for me), nursed him, changed him and then got him down for his morning nap while I ate breakfast. I sat there for a breath while C slept, then he woke up, I fed and changed him again, and the awesome, angelic, wonderful, spectacular baby sitter S's husband J came and picked up my little man for a few hours. Ahhh... Relief. For a second. Then I freaked out. It was the most bizarre feeling to not have my little man home with me. This was my first time being in my home without him for more than ten minutes! So, when J left with C, I breathed a sigh of "ahhh... I can take a nap" relief; but it was quickly followed by that special brand of "you don't love your child enough" guilt. It was so unbelievably quiet in my house, that it was almost eerie. I didn't think there was any way I could take a nap. So I just sat there for a little while. The next time I looked at my phone and saw what time it was, I realised that it had been an hour and a half since I had even gotten off of the couch! I don't remember the last time that has happened! It certainly wasn't when I was pregnant... And especially not in my third trimester, when I was lucky to sit still for 5 minutes at a time. I continued to sit there, and noticed that my guilt was gone. Sure, it was still a little too quiet and eerie and weird, but I was beyond relaxed and eventually, I was able to take a nap. It wasn't long by any means, but I still feel so much more rested! Just not needing to get up and down for this or that was incredibly rejuvenating.

By the time I did get a nap in, I realised that it was almost time for Connor to come home. But I hadn't even showered yet. I texted S and asked her if she could keep Connor for just another 30 minutes so I could shower and clean myself up a bit, and in true "I am a saint" fashion, she said "of course"! I took the longest shower! I'm not talking too-tired-to-wash-my-hair long.... I'm talking little kid, just-stopped-taking-baths-and-enjoying-being-a-"grown up"-and-taking-a-shower-instead long. It. Was. AWESOME. I can't remember the last time I felt so clean! Haha!

So it's back to the grind tomorrow, and I'm just so glad to have had a day to rest and quite literally do nothing for a few hours! :) I don't have my OOTD today, but here are the creatures who keep me constantly running:



Love and hugs!

Ashley





No comments:

Post a Comment